This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for more information.
If you had gone through a vaginal birth, you may need something to soothe and heal your lady parts. Postpartum padsicles are great for relieving any aches and pains you may have “‘down there.”
They also can promote faster healing because of the witch hazel, aloe vera, and other essential oils that help with the healing process. Because they are frozen or iced, it will also help control postpartum bleeding and trust me that cooling sensation is exactly what your achy lady business needs.
What’s even better is that you don’t need to buy them in the store since you can make your own DIY padsicles.
Here’s what you need to know about postpartum padsicles and how to make your own:
What are padsicles?
A padsicle is basically an ice pack and a feminine pad mixed together to provide relief for a mom’s sore vaginal area postpartum.
The cold pad helps to soothe any irritations and pains you may have. Even if you have had an easy or short birth, you may still have some perineal swelling or sensitivty that comes with giving birth.
Some level of discomfort is normal for all postpartum mothers to experience. This is when padsicles can come in handy!
Postpartum Padsicle Ingredients
The chlorine-free, unscented, overnight pads are safer since there is no by product of dioxin and the lesser chemicals being used, the better. Maxi pads are also better since they hold a lot more liquid and can last for longer.
- Soft rose fragrance, Soothing Rose Toner made with rose-petal water and proprietary Witch Hazel extract
- Un-distilled witch hazel cleanses and moisturizes, Certified organic aloe vera
- Free of alcohol, parabens and propylene glycol
- Packaging may vary
This is an extract from the witch hazel shrub that is all natural, soothing, and great for reducing inflammation and healing wounds. It can also cleanse and moisturize.
When buying witch hazel look for one that doesn’t have any alcohol in its ingredients, like this one, to avoid further irritation. It would also be better if they are free of parabens and fragrances.
Aloe Vera Gel
- UNLIKE DRUGSTORE BRANDS THAT ARE LOADED with harsh thickeners, toxic chemicals and little aloe, ours is 99.75% organic, from cold-pressed, charcoal filtered aloe grown in the USA! DIY MIXING WITH OTHER INGREDIENTS? USE A BLENDER FOR smoothest consistency!
- HARVESTED FRESH FROM the field just for us! Experience the highest potency of essential vitamins, minerals, proteins and enzymes!
- NATURALLY ANTI-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal! Fluid, silky consistency means more aloe for you! Feels amazing on the skin and hair and NEVER STICKY!
- 33% MORE THAN the small 8 oz bottles pictured to look big. Don't be fooled--size matters!
- 26+% LESS cost compared to other 'top' sellers with ZERO compromise in quality. Our NTRSNS Brand promise is to bring you the very best!
Aloe vera is another great soothing treatment that you can use for your postpartum padsicles. It is best to get a more natural or organic aloe vera gel.
Lavender essential oil
- ALL-AROUND FANTASTIC ESSENTIAL OIL: Lavender oil is ultra-versatile and loaded with benefits. That's probably why it's one the most popular and widely used essential oils. Diffuse a few drops at night to create a warm, calm atmosphere that is perfect for sleeping and relaxation.
- 100% PURE LAVANDULA ANGUSTIFOLIA: Dilute 2-5% of Lavender in a carrier oil of your choice. It can help with skin issues like fine lines, wrinkles, and chapped lips. Create a natural hair tonic using Pure Lavender to stimulate hair growth and battle itchy dandruff.
- BATCH SPECIFIC GC-MS REPORTS ON EVERY OIL: Every bottle of oil from Plant Therapy goes through multiple rounds of testing including organoleptic testing by Robert Tisserand, an essential oil expert, and multiple rounds of GC-MS testing by several third-party laboratories.
- HIGH-QUALITY AFFORDABLE ESSENTIAL OILS: At Plant Therapy our goal is to positively impact the lives of as many people as we possibly can, by selling such a high quality product at an affordable price. Be confident knowing you are purchasing quality oils at direct-to-consumer prices.
- CERTIFIED AROMATHERAPISTS ON STAFF: Our customers are our #1 priority and we’d love for you to join the Plant Therapy Family. Our Certified Aromatherapists are happy to help you with all of your Essential Oil questions. We want you to be confident and satisfied with your purchase.
You also have an option of adding a few drops of lavender essential oil, which can also help with the inflammation, swelling, and healing in general. Lavender has also been known to treat bruises and scrapes. Lavender generally also has a pleasant and relaxing scent.
- Tolco Empty Spray Bottle 8 oz. Frosted Assorted Colors
You will need these in order to spray witch hazel on the pads so you can use any spray bottle you have lying around.
Plastic freezer bags
- This package includes two packs of 24 Hefty Slider gallon size freezer bags (96 bags in total)
- An extra-strong seal protects food from freezer burn, these gallon freezer bags with patented MaxLock track that clicks to let you know it's securely closed
- Unique slider design offers one simple sliding motion to open and close these gallon size food storage bags easily
- Label and organize the contents of these gallon plastic bags in your freezer, fridge or closet with large write-on labels
- Prepare ingredients for large parties or treats ahead of time, keeping them fresh in these slider food storage bags until you're ready to use them
Use these to store your padsicles in the freezer. You can either use freezer bags or plastic wrap.
How to make postpartum padsicles
1. Make sure your hands are clean before handling the pads and as much as possible, try not to touch the actual pad.This is to prevent any kind of dirt or bacteria from getting on the pad and also lessen the risk of infection especially since you are placing this pad on your sensitive area.
2. Open the pad but don’t remove the wrapper completely.
3. Put aloe vera gel along the whole length of the pad using a tablespoon and spread generously.
4. Using the spray bottle, spray the pad with the witch hazel right in the center.
5. Add a few drops of lavender oil or any other essential oils you prefer that is soothing and will promote healing (optional).
6. Fold the pad back up to close/seal it.
7. Put the pad in the plastic freezer bag. You can place more than one pad, depending on how much space is available in order to maximize the bag.
8. Place the storage bag in the freezer.
9. Take the pads out of the freezer and use as needed to provide relief and soothe your lady business.
10.Let the pad thaw around two to three minutes before using.
How to use postpartum padsicles
1. Before putting on the padsicle, clean yourself with warm water from a peri bottle and gently dab dry with a clean tissue/toilet paper.
2. Spray vaginal area with Dermoplast, which is extra cooling and moisturizing (optional).
3. Place your postpartum padsicle directly on your underwear, or on top of a clean oversized pad. This extra pad is beneficial since it will help catch any melted liquid from the padsicle or any bleeding.
4. Change your postpartum padsicle as often as you need. During the first few days you may change it as often as hourly but as you heal you won’t need to change them as often.
Postpartum padsicles are easy to make and you can also readily find the ingredients. You can make as many as you want but I recommend to have at least 20-30 ready before you deliver.
By using padsicles, you can make your postpartum experience a little better and speed up the recovery process.
Have you tried using postpartum padsicles and have they worked for you?