This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for more information.
After you’ve had your bundle of joy, it’s only natural to want to get back to feeling and looking like your normal self. But if this isn’t your first baby, you know that your body doesn’t bounce back overnight. That is where postpartum clothing comes into play.
Finding flattering postpartum clothing is one way you can feel confident and comfortable after birth. Since most likely your regular clothes still won’t fit, post-pregnancy clothes can do wonders to help you feel comfortable and look your best.
The Best Stylish Postpartum Clothing
Here are some tips for how to dress postpartum:
Reuse your maternity clothes
Don’t be in a hurry to get rid of those maternity clothes right away. Maternity bottoms can be a great item of clothing to have on hand. This is one way of dressing postpartum belly especially right after giving birth. With my babies, I’ve worn my maternity pants until about 3-4 weeks postpartum.
Clothes that stretch
Stretchy clothes are a godsend for moms postpartum. You can get basic yoga pants that give a good stretch that will allow you to fit in them and not feel restricted compared to your regular jeans or trousers.
Yoga pants are flexible and you can pair them with different tops. Maternity leggings are also another option. You can never go wrong with the elastic waists and you can also pair them with dresses or tunics.
High waisted compression leggings are flattering and can also smooth out your midsection. A simple pair of black leggings goes with practically everything so it’s a no-brainer!
- One-hand Access, Adjustable Shoulder Straps, Hook & Eye Closure.Easy drop cups for convenient feeding
- Seamless, Side Widening, Super Supporting
- Easy to Size, Removable Molded Foam Cups, 100% Breathable
- Buttery-soft Fabric, Comfortable Fits Changing Shape.Full coverage for additional support
After giving birth, your breasts will be sensitive, sore, and probably be leaky. This is natural especially if you are breastfeeding. Finding a great nursing bra is hard to do but getting a good quality one is a great investment.
You need something that is comfy and at the same time, supportive. Make sure to have at least a few nursing bras since you will change them often due to the leaking that is frequent in your first few weeks postpartum.
These ones were personally my favorite nursing bras that I tried out of about half a dozen brands.
- Material:90% Nylon . 10% Spandex , Crotch section:100% cotton.Our panties are light and soft.
- FITTING:Seamless (no side seams)bikini panty is soft and stretchy fabric. No ride-up,Stay in place all day.
- TAGLESS LABLE:our Underwear are no tags, so no irritating scratching,Good for everyday wear.
- Design: Seamless appearance and lovely colors,show your curvy body shape and perfect for plus-sized female.
- Model size：5'7" and 148lb，Sizing M for reference.
After you are done with your mesh underwear phase, you can start wearing regular underwear. Cotton is still the best kind of fabric to get and don’t be afraid to get a size up so that you can feel more comfortable and not restricted. Dark colors are great while you are still bleeding.
- 【Search MXK000178】: After delivery, if you need a Nursing Breastfeeding Set Sleepwear Pajamas Set in this year, suggest you Search MXK000178.
- Discreet enough for nursing. Double Front Layer, Convenient to Breastfeeding.Elegant pleat front design,elastic free under bust; So this breastfeeding shirt will never chafe or dig. it is very suitable as a gift to new mammy
- Design for postpartum nursing moms, loose and long enough which is perfect to flattering postpartum body. Plus it looks like a normal tunic, nice enough to wear it out.
- Super soft material is ideal for the transition from pregnancy to motherhood.
- Please Refer to the Below Detail Description or Our Size Chart before Ordering.
These tops are great to wear especially if you are on the go and need to feed your baby. The key to these tops is easy-access. You can pair them with comfy bottoms or wear a cardigan over them.
Choosing Flattering Postpartum Clothes
- Classic summer striped shirt with short sleeves
- Simple, chic and delightful top for summer,you can pair it with jeans or leggings
- This tee is breathable and great to wear all day
- Recommended With Cold Water / Do Not Bleach / Hang Or Line Dry
- Please attention the size chart in the picture is the actual length of clothes, Select the size according it. Amazon Size Chart is not ours, DO NOT USE IT !!!
Soft and oversized shirts are comfy options to have as an alternative to your nursing tops. They are easy to throw on for when you are doing errands or are hanging around the house and are comfy enough to sleep in as well.
Flowy shirts are also great in balancing out your post-baby bump.
Sweaters, ponchos, jackets
- Material: Polyester+Spandex. Breathable and Stretchy, Very Soft and Comfortable tops.
- Size Notes:Small=(US 4-6),Medium=(US 8-10),Large=(US 12-14),X-Large=(US 14-16),XX-Large=(US 18-20)
- Features:Cute solid color pullover tunic shirt,designed O neck and batwing sleeve,a baggy fit and very flattering at the back as it covers your bum,high-low hemline,to show off your charming curves.
- Collocation suggestion : This breathable top,designed for wearing a colorful bra in it,which will make you so sexy and show your good figure.Or it still looks cute with a cami or tank top underneath too.It's perfect to pair with your favorite shorts and skinny jeans or leggings for a casual everyday look
- Occasion: Perfect for your daily wear, outdoor activity, dates and parties... any occasion is perfect in Spring, Summer and Fall
An oversized sweater or knitted poncho is great for colder climates and winter months. They can be paired with leggings or jeans for a flattering look. These are stylish and hide your postpartum tummy well and which is why they are a go-to for most moms.
- All authentic DEARCASE products sold through AMAZON.com are sold only by the seller DEARCASE. Products that are sold by other sellers are imitation products.
- Material:60% Cotton+35% Polyester+5% Spandex;Features:3/4 Sleeve,Contrast color splicing,Draped Open Front,Asymmetrical hem.
- Color:Blue,Red,Orange,Green;US Standard Size: XS/S/M/L/XL/XX-Large.Soft Lightweight fabric,Casual Loose and soft, breathable, comfortable to wear.
- This women striped draped cardigan pair with your favorite skinny jeans or leggings for an effortless look.
- Suitable Occasion: Casual wear, work,vacation,travel, party and anywhere you want.
They are a staple to have to not only keep warm and cozy during cold weather but also for an extra layer of style, comfort and look.
There are many styles of dresses that can fit your postpartum body. Sometimes, dresses are the best type of postpartum clothing to have especially if you had a c-section (tight waistbands rubbing on your incision = ouch!)
These can either be t-shirt dresses, flowy ones, maxi dresses or even dresses that are specially made to flatter your postpartum body. I find that t-shirt dresses are super quick and comfortable to put on while being stylish and cool at the same time.
Spice up your look
You can find other ways to spice up your wardrobe without having to worry about fitting in it. For example, great colorful cardigan or stylish necklace can go a long way in giving you that extra flare to make your look more interesting and chic while boosting your confidence.
Even a bright and bold red lip is something that you can add to your overall look/outfit and that can make all the difference.
Jewelry is a go-to when it comes to dressing up your look. Long necklaces are great because they can distract from your belly and also elongate your torso. A great pair of statement earrings can also take a neutral basic outfit and add the extra pop.
Realistically, you may not get enough sleep during the first few weeks or months postpartum. When you are out and about, sunglasses are an easy and fashionable way to hide those dark circles or puffy eyes that are all too familiar during this time.
Scarf style nursing covers
- MOST VERSATILE COVER EVER: Breastfeeding cover with stretchy material can be also used as nursing cover, stroller cover, car seat canopy, infinity scarf, shawl and endless other uses.
- PERFECT BABY SHOWER GIFT: Great for Boys & Girls with free Pouch Bag, a gift any new mother will appreciate.
- 100% PROTECTION FOR YOUR BABY: Protects from sunlight, summer heat, wind & breezes while maintaining your privacy. Keeps your child also safe from mosquitos, bugs, germs, bacteria, and pollen.
- BREATHABLE BABY-APPROVED FABRIC: Super light and soft nursing scarf, keeping your baby cool, comfortable and happy while on the go - every time.
- WE ARE READY TO HELP YOU ANY TIME: Completely risk-free satisfaction guarantee for 30 days. If anything goes wrong or you need any information about the product, we offer a prompt help from our courteous customer support.
These fashionable nursing covers can be worn like a scarf to wear as a fun accessory as well as being a functional piece for nursing. You can also get regular scarves that can pull your look together and also draw attention away from your postpartum belly.
This is another type of clothing that is great for covering up your belly area. You can also wear it with shirts, leggings, tees, and others to add another dimension to your outfit. They are also comfortable to wear and still allows you to move around freely.
Tailoring and alterations
It’s all good wearing loose and comfy clothing but if you need to pull off a more professional look a well-tailored piece can do the job.
This can be a tailored blazer over your favorite nursing top, or you can even take your maternity clothes to be tailored in order to make it a little bit fitted but still loose enough to accommodate your postpartum body.
If you need to go to a fancy occasion and require a dress, instead of buying a new one, you can save money and just have your old dress let out or rent one for the evening.
These are great for when you are attending an event or special occasion. You can wear these underneath your top or dress in order to keep everything in place and give you a more smooth look. Things like the Belly Bandit are soft, easy to wear, keeps everything in place, and also gives you that extra boost of confidence.
Slip-on shoes can be a lifesaver for on-the-go moms. You can also get comfy sneakers/tennis shoes that are stylish and quick to put on when you need to go some places with baby, go to doctor visits, or to pick up something from the store.
A bit of heel
If you are not just going out for a quick run to the store, wearing shoes or boots with a bit of a heel, can flatter your figure to make you look more slender and taller.
Of course keep it sensible, whatever you feel comfortable in. I know there are some mamas out there that can handle high heels every once in a while and if that makes you feel more confident then go for it!
A great pair of jeans
During the first few weeks after giving birth, your uterus is still in the middle of the shrinking process and so your maternity jeans will most likely be your go to.
If you need to buy new ones though, make sure they fit well and don’t force your body to fit into a size that you once were before you were pregnant. A muffin top is never a good look!
If you have a long torso, you can wear high waisted jeans that can keep everything tucked in. Getting jeans with back pockets that are positioned higher up will also flatter your backside to give it a perkier look.
Stretchy jeans or jeggings are also a good option and are more forgiving for your postpartum body. You can also get those jeans with a lycra waistband to feel extra comfy around the midsection area.
These pants are great because they are soft but still loose around the crotch area and it tapers around the ankle to fit. It’s another option to jeans or your regular yoga pants and they are flexible enough that you can also wear different tops with it.
Cotton fabric clothing
In general, fabrics made of cotton are easier to wash and clean. This is an important consideration when picking out your postpartum clothing since you will be dealing with a lot of stains, leakage, baby spit up, etc. Let’s just face it. Postpartum is a messy time and you want easy to wash postpartum clothing.
Just after you have given birth, your body will most likely normally still look around 5-6 months pregnant. While your body is still slowly healing and your uterus is shrinking (doctors usually say around 6-10 weeks), there are ways that you can use clothes to hide your postpartum belly.
It’s not always easy to dress postpartum but it can be done with the right postpartum clothing and accessories. Learn to dress to compliment your changing body and still feel comfortable and stylish at the same time. Once you feel good, confident, and comfy in your clothes, you can take on whatever postpartum hurdles you face along the way.
What is your go-to postpartum outfit?
P.S. Bonus tip: Stay positive – I know this can be easier said than done but it is important to know that your body has gone through a lot and fixating on your weight is not a good thing to do. Having a healthy body image is all about nourishing yourself and eating the right foods.
When you have that positive mindset, you can make the most out of the situation and feel confident in whatever you are wearing.