This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for more information.
After giving birth to your baby, it is easy to get swept up in loving on your new little one. But you need to remember that your body just went through something major and you need these postpartum recovery tips so you can also focus on your healing!
The postpartum recovery process can be painful, but there are some postpartum recovery tips & products that can make healing much easier.
Here is a list of the postpartum recovery essentials that can help you during this postpartum period and speed up the healing process:
Postpartum Recovery Tips
- TUCKS 100ct MEDICATED COOLING PADS
- Tucks pads with witch hazel provide immediate relief from burning, itching and discomfort caused by hemorrhoids and other rectal and vaginal conditions.
- The ultra-soft pads are also effective for gentle cleansing and personal hygiene.
- Use as a moist compress to help alleviate discomfort following childbirth, rectal or vaginal surgery.
- Pads are pH-balanced, hypo-allergenic, and dye-free.
You can place these on your pads to help cool down pain and itching. Because they have witch hazel in them, they can reduce swelling on your pelvic floor and ease inflammation.
You could also use witch hazel that comes in squirt bottles and place some on a maxi pad, freeze it, and this will also soothe the pain away.
Bonus Postpartum Recovery Tips: I remember with my first little one the nurses would also bring me a rubber glove filled with ice. That felt soooo good, but they said not to use ice too much when I got home because that could slow down the healing process.
Provides an immediate relief for your pain and itchiness. It comes in a blue and red can. The red can has antibacterial properties which could sting when applied if you have stitches. Stick with the blue can (don’t get the red!) and spray away.
Maxi pads, Depends/Adult Diapers or Hospital Mesh Undies
These are very useful since you experience a lot of bleeding postpartum (like a lot, a lot) and they are also useful for holding other items like ice packs or your Tucks pads without making your underwear wet.
Large, comfy underwear
The hospital could provide you with some disposable underwear type but you can also bring your own to make you feel more comfortable and also speed up the recovery process. Grab a pack of loose inexpensive postpartum underwear you wouldn’t mind throwing away in a few weeks. Bring on the granny panties!
- Perineal Irrigation Bottle
- 1 Count
- Clear color for easily seeing how much fluid is left
- Top lifts and turns to activate and regulate flow
These can save you especially if it’s still painful to wipe. This can also help relieve the itching. You can also squeeze warm water to your bottom as you pee to reduce the burning sensation.
This is a must-have for the first couple of weeks as you recover from any tearing. Otherwise using the bathroom can really sting.
Most hospitals will provide you with one after your delivery.
After giving birth, everything in your intestinal tract could slow down due to hormonal changes, milk production, and other factors. For the love of all that is holy take the stool softener, mama. This is one of the most important postpartum recovery tips.
No one warned me how painful it could be to have your first bowel movement after delivery. You will be so grateful for the stool softener! Your doctor may also put on you on an Iron supplement postpartum if you lost a lot of blood during the delivery. Iron is known for causing constipation so a stool softener is a must.
This is another alternative to stool softeners and is helpful especially if you have hemorrhoids.
- TWO SIZE AVAILABLE - One size version Waist belt -41.3" x 9", Fits waistline 26"-39",belly belt -37.4" x 9", Fits Stomach 26"-36.7" , Pelvis belt-- 43" x 6", Fits hipline 32.7"-42" 【***PLUS SIZE for weight of going to birth over 190lbs】size details please refer to the description.
- BREATHABLE & COMFORTABLE MATERIAL - 3 Belts in 1 set fulfilled all the needs throughout your postpartum healing process.Breathable & Comfortable material high quality lightweight fabric waist trainer cincher for women,This postpartum belly belt help you correct your posture.It also helps to avoid the belly band from rolling up when you seat or move, very comfortable, hygroscopic, breathable to wear and easy to clean.
- MULTIPURPOSE - Essentials for postpartum recovery helps get your body back to its former post childbirth.This postpartum belly band helps reduce swelling, support core abdominal muscles and return uterus to its original size sooner. It also makes you look instantly slimmer, adding confidence and helping you feel better after have a baby.
- ADJUSTABLE & GREAT FOR MOTHER - Allows put it on easily by yourself and pull is equal from both sides,readjust how tight you want it without taking off the band, keep you supported for a long time. It is GREAT GIFT for women just after giving birth or anyone had surgical operation resulting in loose skin and back pain.It also has built in boning to help support the lower back and improve posture during breastfeeding.
- SPEED RECOVERY & REDUCE DISCOMFORT - Helps ease transition of uterus and shrink it down to normal size, support your lower back and hold tummy in, redefine the waistline,relief back pain.
These will help you get rid of your pregnancy belly and help reduce uterine swelling. A wrap will apply a gentle pressure to your uterus and abdomen which will provide you comfort and relief.
I bought this one on Amazon and loved it with my first baby! I mostly wore it when I was sleeping since it was a little annoying to wear during the day and it helped me get back to my regular size fast.
- ABSORBENT -- BrightCare Direct chux are created with absorbent fibers to lock in moisture, keeping liquid away from skin to promote sound sleep and peace of mind for adults or children
- PROTECTS SKIN -- In addition to protecting furniture, these absorbent pads wick away moisture to help keep skin dry and protected. Added length ensures maximum coverage and leakage protection
- QUICK, MESS-FREE CLEANUP -- Moisture is locked in to these pads, making them easy to dispose without worrying about drips or spills. Soiled pads can simply be folded or bunched up then disposed of
- DURABLE -- The tear-resistant pads are created for durability and hold up well. Simply dispose and replace the pad after it becomes soiled. Versatile for adults, children, or pets
- LEAK-PROOF - Our durable disposable incontinence bed pads have a tear-resistant and highly absorbent backing to keep you comfortable and dry
Since you will still bleed down there, bed pads can help keep your bed or mattress clean at all times.
If you ever potty trained a puppy and had piddle pads it looks a lot like that and you lay it on your side of the bed to catch any leaks.
Bonus Post Partum Recovery Tips: If you have extras leftover save them for when you start potty training your kiddo in a few years.
Tylenol and Ibuprofen
- 100-count Tylenol Rapid Release Gels with acetaminophen work fast to temporarily relieve minor aches and pains and help reduce fever
- Each gelcap features unique, laser-drilled holes to quickly release medicine and contains 500 mg of acetaminophen for fast, effective extra strength pain relief
- Use as a fever reducer and to help treat minor aches and pains including headache, backache, toothache, cramps and pain caused by the common cold
- This oral pain reliever is fast-acting and can be used by adults and children who are 12 years and older
- Experience relief and alleviate aches and pains with Tylenol, the #1 doctor recommended brand of pain reliever
Tylenol is great for treating pain, while Ibuprofen can help with the swelling. Check with your doctor for what they recommend after the delivery. Many will prescribe you with a higher level medication for the first few days and then a stronger dose of Ibuprofen for later.
- 30 YEARS OF COMFORT AND SUPPORT WHILE NURSING: The award-winning Boppy Original Pillow provides your arms and back relief by lifting your baby to a more ergonomic position when breastfeeding or bottle feeding. This fashionable pillow is a cotton blend fabric with an allover fashion.
- VERSATILE USES FOR 0-12 MONTHS: The Boppy Original Nursing Pillow supports your newborn through their entire first year with propping, tummy time, sitting or just discovering little fingers and toes. Designed for your baby's supervised, awake time.
- EASY CARE, MACHINE WASHABLE: The Boppy Pillow and Boppy Pillow Cover are machine washable because little messes happen. All Boppy Pillow Covers are sold separately and are guaranteed to fit the Boppy Pillow. Having an extra Boppy Pillow Cover, that easily zips on and off, is great for between wash cycles.
- AWARD-WINNING QUALITY: The Boppy Pillow has won several awards voted on by parents and the baby community. The most recent wins are from the BabyCenter Mom's Pick Best of 2018 and the 2018 What to Expect Must-Have Winner.
- NURSERY MUST-HAVE: The Boppy Pillow is a registry must-have, making it the perfect gift for any baby shower. Pick an adorable, Original Nursing Pillow design that matches your nursery theme.
Aside from using this for nursing, you can also use them as a seat and relieve pressure off your pelvic floor. Your hospital may also give you a plastic inflatable donut to sit on for the first few days postpartum.
I used a Boppy Pillow and I really liked it. I also tried My Breast Friend Pillow. I personally felt like it was too bulky and too much of a hassle, but some moms swear by it!
These packs come in handy for different purposes and you most likely already have some on hand. Cold packs can help to reduce any postpartum swelling while hot packs can help increase circulation.
Big shirts/ robes/ stretchy pants
You can feel better and extra relaxed and cozy when you have a comfy pair of sweats especially after giving birth.
Like the undies, maybe don’t wear your favorite pair of sweats for the first couple of weeks during your postpartum recovery.
Warm socks/ slippers
These are useful especially if your circulation is still a bit messed up after giving birth and it keeps your feet feeling cozy.
This is an important thing to have even if life seems super busy – which it often is after a baby. You can get up occasionally for circulation but in general, taking it easy and slowing down can help a lot in your recovery.
You will be up a lot at night with your new little one, so give yourself a break during the day. Just snuggle with your new little one and watch a show or if you have other kiddos try to arrange help with them as you heal.
Bath or soaks
Getting in a bath with some soothing herbs can help reduce cramping and increase circulation.
- HIGHEST QUALITY PURE UNSCENTED EPSOM SALT (Packaged in USA): Epsoak Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate) is USP grade. It is GMO free (Genetically Modified Organism).
- DISSOLVES QUICKLY/GREAT VALUE: After soaking in Epsoak Epsom Salt it becomes clear why Epsoak is the leading name in Epsom Salt. The expertly selected grain size of Epsoak Epsom Salt means that it dissolves quickly & easily in warm water without hassle every single time. It's transparent/slightly white in color, and is unscented. Buy in BULK and save.
- RELAX MUSCLES & IMPROVE SKIN: Known for its amazing therapeutic qualities, an epsom salt bath can help to relieve muscle aches and pains, relieve aching feet, cleanse pores, flush out toxins, detoxify the skin. Mix with shower gel to create your own body scrub.
- WORKS ON PLANTS AND GARDEN: Epsom Salt can do amazing things to help your Garden flourish. Epsom Salt for plants is a completely natural and cost efficient way to give them that extra boost to help your plants thrive. Use on plants, lawn, shrubs and more...
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Here at the San Francisco Salt Company we are confident that you will be completely satisfied with our products, which is why we stand behind every single item that we sell. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase reach out to us directly and we will make it right.
A warm bath with Epsom salts can help in comforting those aching muscles you have been using during labor. It also helps with relieving pain from the stitches.
- For a limited time, you may receive either bottle while we update our packaging. Both have the same great product inside. Based on new FDA regulations, you may also notice a change in the unit of measure and/or daily value for certain products.
- Contains a 90-day supply of Nature Made Prenatal Multivitamin + DHA Softgels, 90 softgels per bottle
- Specially formulated to support the development of baby's brain, nervous system, bones and eyes. Clinically proven absorption.
- Adults, take 1 softgel daily with water and a meal for optimal absorption.
- These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Even after giving birth, it is still vital to take your prenatal vitamins. These will help your body recover quicker, increase your energy levels, and help you heal faster.
Talk to your doctor about what he or she recommends for you during your postpartum recovery.
Going through a vaginal delivery can take a toll on your body but there are a lot of things that can help you get through the postpartum period, make you feel more comfortable, and also make the recovery process quicker.
The first few weeks can be rough, I won’t lie, but you can do this! Your body was made for this. You are a mama!
What postpartum recovery tips do you have? Share them below!