This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for more information.
You may be thinking, what are the best postpartum girdles?
Or maybe you’re asking, what is a postpartum girdle?
After you’ve given birth, your physique might not be as it was before and, this is totally normal. Most moms leave the hospital still looking around 5-6 months pregnant.
A postpartum girdle is something that can help bring the body shrink back to its pre-pregnancy size. It can compress the abdomen, hips, and backside. It also helps your tummy and hips shrink.
If you had a cesarean done, it also helps to hold in the incision so the stitches don’t come apart. There are different styles available and you can also fasten them either through Velcro, eye, and hooks, or zippers.
Benefits of wearing a postpartum girdle
New moms might feel not themselves because of the extra weight they have put on which is just a normal thing to be feeling. It will take time for your body to shed off the weight and your skin to be back to normal.
A postpartum girdle can help in getting mom’s body back to standard quicker and helps you feel more confident and boosts self-esteem.
After giving birth, your abdomen and muscles will be deflated and won’t be as flexible as normal. The postpartum girdle will help aid your muscles stay in place to its proper position and recover quicker.
Holds the midsection/abdomen in place
Your skin around the midsection could be loose and frequent movement can cause stretch marks and also damage skin elasticity. A postpartum girdle will help keep this area stable and prevent extra movement.
C section recovery
If you had a c section, you need those stitches to stay in place while you go about your daily activities. A postpartum girdle will help prevent unnecessary movement and prevents the reopening of stitches.
You will then be on your way to faster healing and recovery. Not to mention, a postpartum girdle can also help with the pressure and pain from the surgical wound.
Fitting into old clothing
Because the postpartum girdle can help make your figure smaller, you can wear your old clothes over it and feel more confident.
I remember how good it felt to slip into some of my pre-pregnancy shirts (looser ones, but still!) a week postpartum. Using a postpartum support girdle held everything in place so I could actually button my shirt.
Back support/ back pain
Especially after pregnancy, your back may be achy and weak from all of the pregnancy-related strain. If you also have issues like scoliosis, spinal curvature, and radiculitis, it might even be worse for you.
Wearing a postpartum girdle is beneficial to help support your back and lessen any back pains.
After childbirth, back pains are normal and it can be painful for moms, especially if you will be doing chores and other things that moms do.
A postpartum girdle can help with alleviating some of this back pain to make your recovery and healing more bearable.
Compression will usually improve your blood flow and help to minimize swelling.
Reduce uterus size
A postpartum girdle will help in speeding up the recovery time to reduce your uterus size after birth.
After the past nine months, your posture could be greatly affected by pregnancy and so wearing a postpartum girdle can give you the extra help in making sure you getting your posture back to normal. It will help support your back muscles and straighten up your spine.
When to start using a postpartum girdle
If you went through a natural delivery, you can generally start wearing a postpartum girdle right away, however, it is best to consult your doctor about wearing a postpartum girdle (when you can start, what kind etc.) no matter if you had a vaginal delivery or a c section.
How long to wear a postpartum girdle
On the average, postpartum support girdles are worn for around four to eight weeks. Every woman is different – you might heal quicker or slower than others. It is more beneficial to wear the girdle continuously for the first week.
After the first week, you may only use it during the day and take it off at night. For women who had a c-section, stitches usually take around 4 weeks to heal and you can wear the postpartum during this period.
I wore mine religiously for the first month and it made a huge difference in getting back to my pre-pregnancy size.
Kinds of postpartum girdles:
This kind of postpartum support girdle can have a zipper either on the front or side. Zipper styles are the best postpartum girdles if you had a c-section since you don’t have to pull it on over your incision.
There are snap and boning enclosures involved and provides great support for your back and lower abdomen.
This girdle is like underwear with a very high waist. They are very easy to use. Are more suitable for moms who had a natural delivery.
Consult your doctor before using this kind especially if you had a cesarean since you might wait around 2 weeks after birth before you can start using it. It helps with your posture and eases back pain.
It has frontal flaps that wrap around your stomach and fastens at the back. It is adjustable using Velcro or hooks which means as you are losing weight, you can still use it.
In my experience, I felt the wrap styles were the best postpartum girdles because it could adjust as my size shrunk down.
Factors to consider before buying a postpartum girdle
Your girdle should not be too tight. Also, avoid itchy fabrics since it will only be uncomfortable for you. It shouldn’t feel like they are digging marks or tearing on your skin.
Ease of Use
You shouldn’t be struggling to put on your postpartum girdle especially during this time when you are extra sensitive. The best postpartum girdle is one that is easy to get into.
Stays In Place
Your postpartum girdle should not be moving around or sliding and shifting. Make sure you buy one that will stay in place or is the correct size for you.
A breathable fabric is beneficial especially if you will be wearing your postpartum girdle a lot in order to keep you from feeling sticky and sweaty.
How it looks under clothes
The best postpartum girdles aren’t so thick and obvious that you can easily seem them under your clothes. Look for ones that are more discreet.
There are a lot of affordable options out there and whatever your budget is, try to stick to it.
If you invest in a good quality postpartum girdle, it can last you a long time and you can use it through multiple pregnancies.
The best postpartum girdles will provide the right support and will help keep your posture straight.
The Best Postpartum Girdles
- TWO SIZE AVAILABLE - One size version Waist belt -41.3" x 9", Fits waistline 26"-39",belly belt -37.4" x 9", Fits Stomach 26"-36.7" , Pelvis belt-- 43" x 6", Fits hipline 32.7"-42" 【***PLUS SIZE for weight of going to birth over 190lbs】size details please refer to the description.
- BREATHABLE & COMFORTABLE MATERIAL - One set postpartum girdles meet the needs of all your throughout postpartum healing process.Breathable & Comfortable material high quality lightweight fabric waist trainer cincher for women,This postpartum belly belt help you correct your posture.It also helps to avoid the belly band from rolling up when you seat or move, very comfortable & breathable to wear and easy to clean.
- MULTIPURPOSE - Essentials for postpartum recovery helps get your body back to its former post childbirth.This postpartum belly band helps reduce swelling, support core abdominal muscles and return uterus to its original size sooner. It also makes you look instantly slimmer, adding confidence and helping you feel better after have a baby.
- ADJUSTABLE & GREAT FOR MOTHER - Allows put it on easily by yourself and pull is equal from both sides,readjust how tight you want it without taking off the band, keep you supported for a long time. It is GREAT GIFT for women just after giving birth or anyone had surgical operation resulting in loose skin and back pain.It also has built in boning to help support the lower back and improve posture during breastfeeding.
- SPEED RECOVERY & REDUCE DISCOMFORT - Helps ease transition of uterus and shrink it down to normal size, support your lower back and hold tummy in, redefine the waistline,relief back pain.
Gives support for your belly, waist, and pelvis.
- easy to put in because of the Velcro closures (unlike hook and eye closures)
- easy to clean
- breathable fabric and comfortable to wear
Cons: will only fit women around under 190 pounds
- can be noticeable under thin clothes
- Waist Trainer Training Trimmer Belt: Made of comfortable & adjustable & stretchy fabric, Flexible and durable, 100% Latex-Free Neoprene Stretchy Comfortable Finest Fabric, which means it is easy to clean, fits to your body, and will not pitch or irritate your skin. double-adjustment velcro adjustment for sizing accuracy mesh backing for breathability. Great for postpartum belly abodomn corset
- Weight Loss Belt-Our trimmer belt is made of Neoprene,polyester,which help the waist trimmer belt to be more flexible adding for the wearer.The slimming belt does not stab or jab like some other stomach belt do.Most of you would be looking to burn fat and calories.The whole point of this waist trimmer is to wear the belt while exercising and help burn more fat in your stomach area by basically making you sweat as if you had sauna around your belly
- Design of Tummy Trimmer belt-Wide enough to cover the stomach area and stay put during exercise;Thick enough to produce the heat and burn the fat,move the cellulite and expel toxins.Velcro closure to make sure that the belt is fastened tightly around the abs. Our tummy trimmer belt has a good amount of velcro to make people of many different sizes able to wear this trimmer belt easily.A spandex belt provides more cinching ability for this trainer
- Tummy Tuck & Back Support-Our best waist trimmer belt is very stretchy in the right places and provides tons of support on your sides and back.Provides instant abdominal compression and lumbar support.The slimming waist cincher does not dig into your skin and lays flat all the way around.If you have lower back issues,our waist trainers,like a compression binder around the waist to offer lumbar support,help relieve pain and improve posture
- Functional corsets shapewear-Our waist trimmer belt also smooths your post baby tummy flab and love handles,helping you look slimmer.No more love handles muffin topping over your shorts.Ideal for providing compression and support for after pregnancy,postpartum recovery or post abdominal surgery,c section,lose weight,abdominal strains and weakness,tummy trainer.There is boning stripes through out the waist cinchers that helps to keep your back in the correct position
This postpartum girdle is great especially for those moms who just had a c section.
Pros: gives the support needed to hold your stitches and incisions in
- the Velcro makes it easier to fasten and unfasten
- Breathable fabric that will give your skin some circulation and prevent irritations from being sweaty
- Built-in boning can help support lower back
- Will give you a thinner appearance
- Comfortable on skin
Cons: can only be hand-washed
- needs to be washed the first time before using it
- ONE SIZE fits US 6-12. Belly belt fits stomach 26"-36.7"; Waist belt fits waist 26"-39"; Pelvis belt fits hip 32.7"-42"
- BREATHABLE & COMFORTABLE MATERIAL - Made from high quality stretchable， lightweight fabric which helps you correct your posture. It doesn't roll up, very comfortable, breathable to wear and easy to clean. It can be worn under clothes. Ultra breathable to wear in all season.
- ADJUSTABLE & GREAT FOR MOTHER - Adjustable closure for easy wearing, helps reduce waist. It has a wonderful elastic type of way to keep your belly secure. You can readjust how tight you want without taking off the band, keep you supported for a long time.It is GREAT GIFT for women just after giving birth or anyone had surgical operation resulting in loose skin and back pain.It also has built in boning to help support the lower back and improve posture during breastfeeding.
- SPEED UP POSTPARTUM HEALING PROCESS & REDUCE DISCOMFORT - It speeds up the postpartum healing process by helping to ease the transition of the uterus and by shrinking it down to it's normal size. Support your lower back and hold tummy in, redefine the waistline,relief back pain, prevent organs/skin from sagging, accelerate postnatal healing. Essentials for postpartum recovery helps get your body back to its former post childbirth.
- A MUST FOR MUMS - It's necessary postpartum recovery belt for women who wants to get support with back, hips ,stomach, lose weight, protect waist and keep slim. It's a great gift for women to get back into shape in Thanksgiving Day & Christmas. Hip Mall postpartum recovery belt helps you restore your beautiful body shape, regain confidence and ease discomfort of postpartum.
Gives you full support in your midsection as well as your hips. It has 3 separate bands to provide you support wherever you need it. You can use it in the first week after delivery.
Pros: the material is breathable and lightweight and isn’t itchy on the skin
- Velcro bands make it easier for you to strap it on and adjust
- Easy on your wallet
- Only 1 size so you don’t need to take measurements.
- Relieves back pain
- Invisible under clothing
Cons: requires you to wash it before using
- only fits sizes 6 to 12 US
- 3 BELTS in 1 SET- Postpartum belly belt contains BELLY BELT, WAIST BELT and PELVIS BELT in one set, fulfilled all your needs throughout the postpartum recovery process. This postnatal pregnancy wrap help you quickly restore body shape, ease postpartum discomfort, regain confidence.
- BREATHABLE & COMFORTABLE MATERIAL--- Made from high quality lightweight fabric, very comfortable, stretchable and easy to clean. All our product has passed the air permeable test, ultra breathable to wear in all season!
- TWO SIZE FITS MOST MOTHER- One size version for weight less than 190lbs【Belly belt fits stomach 26"-36.7" ,Waist belt fits waistline 26"-39" ,Pelvis belt fits hipline 32.7"-42"】, Plus size version for weight over 190lbs【Belly belt fits stomach 35"-40" ,Waist belt fits waistline 38"-44" ,Pelvis belt fits hipline 40"-46"】. If you are purchasing after birth, please choose the belly band based on your current size.
- ADJUSTABLE & GREAT FOR MOTHER--- Allows put it on easily by yourself and pull is equal from both sides, readjust how tight you want it without taking off the band, keep you supported for a long time. IT IS A GREAT GIFT for women just after giving birth or anyone had surgical operation resulting in loose skin and back pain.
- SPEEDS UP POSTPARTUM HEALING PROCESS--- Helps shrink belly, waist and hips;Prevent organs/skin from sagging;Relieve back & pelvis pain;Helps ease transition of uterus;Minimize stretch marks;Accelerates postnatal healing;Adds support while breastfeeding;Provides comfort after C-Section/ Natural delivery.
Has 3 different belts. One for your belly area, a thicker one for your waist area, and another one to support your pelvis.
Pros: comes in a larger size for plus size moms
- breathable and stretchy fabric that allows you to wear it even during summertime
- Easy to put on yourself
- You can adjust the size without taking it off
- Helps with back pain
- Can suit moms who had a c-section.
Cons: will roll up a bit underneath your clothes
- instructions can be hard to figure out at first
- 3 Row Hook and Eye closure, Groin Closure for Easy Bathroom Access, Full Panty Coverage
- RECOMMENDED BY DOCTORS: Our c-section recovery corset is recommended by doctors, for after giving birth. The postpartum girdle gives 360-degree of core support. It helps in regaining mobility and is great for vaginal birth recovery.
- REDUCES PAIN: After delivery, most women experience pain because of the uterus returning to its pre-pregnancy size. Our postpartum belly wrap helps you to manage this pain by supporting your lower abdomen.
- TRIPLE-LAYERED FRONT & BACK SUPPORT: The Bellefit belly wrap is triple-layered with front and back panels. It is designed to give support where it is needed. It is made up of microporous, hypoallergenic and breathable fabric.
- CONVENIENT TO USE: The postpartum girdle has an adjustable groin flap design to adjust with heavy flow pads. It is made up of Bellefitflex technology that holds the girdle in place and prevents it from rolling. It also helps to improve your posture and mitigate back pain.
Boning on the sides and the compression fabric provides the support you’ll need.
Pros: very durable, high quality, and can be machine-washed
- great to correct posture
- can be used after a c-section
- medical grade fiber allows your skin to breathe
- the waist isn’t adjustable
There are a lot of options out there when it comes to postpartum girdles. Which one on the list do you think is the best postpartum girdle?