This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for more information.
Nursing pillows have a lot of uses but they are mainly for getting into the best position for breastfeeding your baby. There are so many types of nursing pillows out there. How are you supposed to choose the best nursing pillow?
Here’s everything you need to consider to pick the best nursing pillow:
Uses for nursing pillows
- Used when breastfeeding or bottle feeding baby.
- Prior to baby being born as well as after, nursing pillows are great to relieve any back pain you may have.
- Can be used for baby tummy time and to assist in sitting.
- Takes the strain off arms, shoulders, and lower back when you are holding baby.
- Can promote skin to skin and strengthen your breastfeeding relationship with baby and help you to bond.
- Can also be used during pregnancy when side sleeping to support your bump.
Kinds of nursing pillows
- C shaped – true to its name, this kind of pillow looks like the letter C. There is support for both arms. Because of its shape, it’s perfect for assisting babies when he/she is learning how to sit up on their own – always keep an eye on your baby when you are doing this.
- Crescent shaped – can curve around your side. Good for bigger women and for arm and height support.
- Horseshoe shaped – great twin nursing pillow.
- M shaped – you can feed two babies at the same time.
- O shaped – wraps around body for back and arm support. Adjustable for both small and larger sizes.
- Other shapes – rectangle, triangle, boomerang
How to use a nursing pillow
- While sitting down with baby on your lap when breastfeeding, use the nursing pillow to support baby’s head and neck. This is especially beneficial for newborns who don’t have much neck strength.
- If you are feeding baby on your side and under your arm, you can use a nursing pillow to fix you and your baby’s position properly.
- While bottle feeding, you can use the nursing pillow to hold the baby up to relieve your muscles.
What to consider when picking the best nursing pillow:
It has to feel comfortable when you wrap it around yourself and not be pressing against you. Some nursing pillows might be more flexible than others while some are more rigid.
If you have a long torso, you might need a longer pillow. If you have a short torso, you can get a flexible filling one with a short length.
Height of the pillow
When you are using the nursing pillow as a breastfeeding pillow, it is important that you get the right height correctly for baby to have a perfect latch.
In order to get that comfy fit and for baby to stay in place, it is best to have a pillow that can be adjusted.
Easy To Clean
If you will be mainly using the nursing pillow for breastfeeding, you should make sure it would get cleaned every now and then to get rid of the dirt etc. A nursing pillow with a cover that can be taken off and thrown in the wash is more convenient and easy to take care of.
Depending on the type of materials being used, some nursing pillows will still retain their shape after being washed while some might lose their shape.
Ease of Use
Take into consideration if you can use the nursing pillow on a daily basis and if it is practical enough for your needs.
If a pillow is firm and bulky, it is best to be used at home while lightweight and compact nursing pillows can be used when traveling and can be carried around.
You can opt for natural options like buckwheat or cotton.
There are various kinds out there to fit your budget. If you are planning to use nursing pillows short term, then budget pillows can work fine.
If you are planning on investing on a good one that can last you for a long time – and through multiple babies, the price range will be around $25 to $100 dollars.
Best nursing pillows
My Brest Friend Nursing Pillow
- FEEL THE SUPPORT: Encourages better posture during breastfeeding, alleviating strain in your back, neck, and arms
- FIRM AND FLAT: Prevents baby from rolling out of position during nursing
- CONVENIENT POCKET: Handy pouch keeps your maternity supplies within easy reach
- WRAP AROUND DESIGN: Adjusts to fit most sizes, this pillow surrounds your body securely, for the ideal position
- PREFERRED BY THE PROS: My Brest Friend is proud to be the top choice of lactation consultants and birthing hospitals
An all-around nursing pillow that has a soft slipcover. Mom can also rest her arm and elbow on a specific area which helps relieves the tension in the muscles. It has a strap that can help it fasten securely and properly around mom to stay in place. There’s also a backrest that gives support.
It helps baby be at the right height for breastfeeding and keep from rolling because of the flat surface. It even has a storage pocket where you can put whatever you want to in.
Reviews for this pillow note that it is the best selling nursing pillow in the United States and is even suggested by lactation consultants. Because of the foam inserts in this pillow, it can hold its shape for a long time.
Boppy Nursing Pillow
- 30 YEARS OF COMFORT AND SUPPORT WHILE NURSING: The award-winning Boppy Original Pillow provides your arms and back relief by lifting your baby to a more ergonomic position when breastfeeding or bottle feeding. This fashionable pillow is a cotton blend fabric with an allover fashion.
- VERSATILE USES FOR 0-12 MONTHS: The Boppy Original Nursing Pillow supports your newborn through their entire first year with propping, tummy time, sitting or just discovering little fingers and toes. Designed for your baby's supervised, awake time.
- EASY CARE, MACHINE WASHABLE: The Boppy Pillow and Boppy Pillow Cover are machine washable because little messes happen. All Boppy Pillow Covers are sold separately and are guaranteed to fit the Boppy Pillow. Having an extra Boppy Pillow Cover, that easily zips on and off, is great for between wash cycles.
- AWARD-WINNING QUALITY: The Boppy Pillow has won several awards voted on by parents and the baby community. The most recent wins are from the BabyCenter Mom's Pick Best of 2018 and the 2018 What to Expect Must-Have Winner.
- NURSERY MUST-HAVE: The Boppy Pillow is a registry must-have, making it the perfect gift for any baby shower. Pick an adorable, Original Nursing Pillow design that matches your nursery theme.
They are great for bottle feeding and breastfeeding babies and are also popular options among moms. It is great to use on babies to prevent acid reflux.
You can position the baby in a way that you won’t be putting any pressure and strain on your arms, shoulders, and back while feeding them. You can buy separate nursing pillow covers that come in fun designs that can also be washed.
Because of its flexibility, this can last you a long time and can be used in various ways (like tummy time for baby). It’s also an affordable kind of nursing pillow and a convenient one to have.
Luna Lullaby Bosom Nursing Pillow
- 100% polyester, and the pillow cover design does not utilize zippers or velcro
- Largest and most luxurious breastfeeding pillow on the market.
- Fits women of any size comfortably and great for twins
- Removable and washable luxurious covers
- No flame retardant chemicals used to irritate delicate skin
This is a good option for plus size moms. It’s shaped more like a boomerang to accommodate womanly curves.
It’s also good for moms who have gone through a C section since it won’t stay too close to your body and cause irritation to the area. It’s also more decorative than your usual nursing pillow.
Twin Z Nursing Pillow
- As seen on ABC's Show SHARK TANK- The Twin Z Pillow!
- The New 6 in 1 Twin Support and Feeding Pillow!
- Amazing back support for nursing 2 babies at one time! A true must have for parents of Multiples!!
- For embroidery customization see our website!
This is the best nursing pillow for twin moms and is great for feeding twins at the same time. It provides good back support while feeding. Using this pillow, you can also put the babies on the floor side by side on their backs.
Nursie Slip-On Arm Nursing Pillow
- COMFORTABLE POSITIONING: This breastfeeding pillow is comfortable, portable, & helps support proper breastfeeding positioning by allowing mom to naturally bring baby up to the breast for nursing.
- PERFECT FOR C-SECTIONS: By sliding onto the arm rather than around the waist like other breastfeeding pillows, Nursie is perfect for C-section tummies. One size fits all, regardless of shape & size.
- GREAT ON THE GO: The Nursie is compact & portable, fitting easily in a stroller, diaper bag or backpack & ideal for air travel. Its comfortable, ergonomic design makes it great for dads to use, too!
- BY & FOR MOMS: Founded by a breastfeeding mom, Lansinoh is committed to helping moms succeed in breastfeeding with breast pumps, nursing pads, nipple cream, breast milk storage bags & more.
- MOM FOUNDED & PARENT LED: Founded by a breastfeeding mom, Lansinoh has supported moms for 35 years with award winning breast pumps, nipple creams, nursing pads, and breast milk storage bags, helping families create bonds that last a lifetime.
It looks like a child swimming floatie but it is good to bring when you are traveling. You can slide your forearm over it to support your baby during feeding without straining your muscles. It’s convenient to bring around and can also be machine-washed. It’s also very easy to use.
- Seat wrap helps hold wigglers in place while reclining to prevent sliding
- Proper reclined positioning may enhance digestion and reduce reflux
- Generously sized and self-adjusting nursing pillow for all-around comfort
- Great for tummy-time and sit-up support as baby grows older
- Cover is not removable on Cuddle-U Basic
It has a seat wrap, which can help baby during the stage of trying to sit up but still a bit wobbly. It’s affordable and provides stable support to keep baby from rolling during feeding. This is the best nursing pillow for bottle fed babies. Because of its lightweight structure, it is easy to carry around.
The cover is not removable, you may want to place a cover over it when using in order to protect it.
Dr. Brown’s Gia Nursing Pillow
- 100% Cotton Shell. 100% Polyester fill
- Thick-to-thin design to grow with baby for virtually limitless nursing positions
- Machine wash and dry/retains shape throughout washing
- Use with or without covers/covers sold separately
- Offers multiple sitting and propping positions for baby, first-of-its-kind patented design by a lactation consultant
It is a thick nursing pillow and also provides flexibility to adjust your feeding positions. It is made of 100% natural cotton and you can also put it in the wash. It also provides good back support which is always a plus.
- 100% Organic - ideal for even the most sensitive babies
- Quarter moon-shaped support provides the perfect "nest" for nursing babies
- Unique filling conforms to baby's body, similar to a bean-bag
- Simply reposition the interior filling to achieve and maintain the ideal nursing position
- The most comfortable nursing pillow available for mothers and babies of all sizes!
The Nesting Pillow is 100% organic and has beanbag like fillings. This nursing pillow is good if you live in a hot place since air can circulate on the inside, which prevents overheating. It’s easy to clean and can be sanitized by using tumble dry.
Newborn babies need to be fed a lot of times during the day and this can lead to mom getting aches and sore muscles. By having the best nursing pillow for you, you can help prevent fatigue and feel more comfortable nursing your baby.