This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for more information.
Are you looking for good store-brand diapers? When it comes to baby’s supplies, one of the first things that come to mind are diapers. They are a convenient alternative to cloth diapers. If you’re looking to get the most value for your money, we offer a list of the best generic brand diapers.
They are necessary, but they can also put a huge dent on your budget. If cloth diapers are out of the question, disposable diapers are the next best thing. However, considering how many you’d need in a day, they can be expensive. It’s a major cost that you don’t want to underestimate.
If you’re like most moms, then you’d want to stick to your budget. But seeing as how much you’ll be spending on diapers every week, you’d want cheaper diaper alternatives to the popular and more expensive brands like Pampers and Huggies.
Want to remain on track of your finances? We can help you. So in this article, we offer insights on the use of disposable and cloth diapers. We will also provide a list of the best generic brand diapers to help you stay true to your budget.
Disposable or Cloth?
Without a doubt, diapers are expensive items that your baby will use day in and day out. But because they are a necessary convenience, there’s simply no way to get around this.
There are two common types of diapers: disposable and cloth.
We all know about disposable diapers because they are those that you see in the grocery. They have many pluses, which is why many parents opt to use them. However, they also have some minuses.
What about cloth diapers?
Well, they are an option worthy of consideration. They are the old-fashioned choice and generally not available in most supermarkets. This traditional option also has its many advantages and a handful of disadvantages.
Neither one is any better or clearly superior over the other. It’s just a matter of weighing your needs in relation to what each option provides. So, in this article, we’re going to enumerate the pros and cons of cloth diapers as well as the disposable ones before we proceed on the list of the best generic diapers.
This is an important consideration if you are looking to stick to your budget. Cloth diapers generally require a substantial upfront cost for obtaining the materials. After that, any expense is associated with the costs of the laundry detergent, water, and electricity to wash this traditional nappy.
On the other hand, disposable diapers cost around 20 cents each; the premium brands, however, can run up to 50 cents or more. But that’s it; you don’t have to incur costs to wash them.
Now compute how often does your baby need to wear diapers? How many disposable diapers does he or she need in a day, a week, or a month?
Did you know an average baby uses around 6,000 disposable diapers before he or she gets to proper potty habits? So if you compare the cost savings between the two diaper options, cloth diapers can give you higher savings in the long haul.
Let’s assume you lead a hectic daily schedule and may have little to no time to attend to the household chores. Washing the cloth diapers can take an hour or two; that’s time you can spend on other things.
Disposable diapers are the clear winner in this round. They are especially convenient when you and your baby are traveling or if you don’t have access to a washer or dryer.
While cloth diapers can give you the cost savings, you don’t need to wash, fold, or press disposable diapers. So if you’re like most mommies who may not have the time or energy to do these duties, you know which one to pick here.
Disposable diapers, especially the premium ones, are highly absorbent. So they are more effective in keeping your baby comfortable and dry compared to cloth diapers.
What’s more, disposable diapers are less prone to leakages, having the ability to soak up more pee. They are also better at keeping the poo in.
The downside to this, however, is that some disposable diapers are so good at absorbing wetness that a lot of parents may find it difficult in determining when to change it. This may result in a diaper rash.
Should you decide on disposable diapers, just check on them often. You may also want to change them regularly even if they seem dry.
Making a Choice Between Cloth and Disposable
Before your baby arrives, you should have already given the diaper issue some thought; whether it’s cloth or disposable. Hear out your family and friends on their opinion as well.
Of course, you have the option to use both. Many parents use cloth diapers for the baby at home and disposable when they go out.
Features of Today’s Disposable Diapers
At some point, you’re going to use disposable diapers. These diapers are very useful during the potty training phase. They are also perfect for kids who wet their bed occasionally.
By default, disposable diapers are the top choice for parents that lead busy lives. Around 90 percent of babies in the U.S. wear them. While they cost more, these diapers provide convenience to the parents. No washing needed and no reusing; it’s a quick toss to the trash bin after use.
All disposable diapers have virtually the same construction.
The outer layer is waterproof while the soft inner lining draws away the wetness off the baby’s skin. In between these two layers is the super absorbent core that extracts and traps the moisture. To fasten and secure the diaper onto its position are the adhesive tabs.
Newer diaper models have added features, making them more environmentally friendly as well as healthier for baby’s use.
Speaking of baby’s health, here are some of the three common health-related features of disposable diapers available today.
These diapers are often marketed as the least to cause an allergic reaction to baby’s skin. But according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, there is no such thing as “hypoallergenic.”
The agency deduced that any material that contains harsh ingredients has the potential to trigger adverse reactions. In the case of disposable diapers, the adverse skin effects are usually attributable to the dye or fragrance content.
Free from Dye and Fragrance
Dye and fragrances are substances often associated with allergic reaction to the baby’s skin. While the intention here is to mask the appearance and smell of a dirty diaper, these chemicals really don’t do much.
If you have reason to believe your baby will experience these adverse effects, then your best option is to go for disposable diapers that don’t contain dye, fragrance, or similar chemical content.
No Chlorine Content
Chlorine is a potent substance that can kill germs and bacteria. So it’s understandable why some diaper manufacturers put that into their products.
Unfortunately, many chlorine-bleached diapers also contain dioxins; it is a type of chemical that contributes to the risk of cancer and can likely damage the reproductive and immune systems.
Most chlorine-bleached disposable diapers sold in the market contain only tiny amounts of dioxin; not on a potent and dangerous level. But if you feel using this type of diaper is risky, go for the chlorine-free variety.
3 Tips When Choosing the Best Generic Brand Diapers
Deluxe brands like Pampers and Huggies are already a given when you want to talk about diapers. But they can cost a pretty penny compared to other generic diaper brands. So your next option would be the off-brand diapers.
We offer these practical tips when choosing the best generic brand diapers.
1. When looking for generic diaper brands, always consider your baby’s needs among other priorities.
Do these off brand diapers provide comfort and are a great fit?
Will this likely cause an allergic reaction to your baby’s skin?
What is the best brand of diapers to use?
Which brand of diaper works best?
Once you have evaluated these considerations, your next determination would be its cost and its availability.
Is it priced higher than the other generic diaper brands?
Will you have to drive to another store that’s farther from your house?
2. Never buy in bulk until you are satisfied with its features.
Check with the best store brand diapers and try the ones that meet your specific needs. Once you’ve settled with the brand that offers the best fit, comfort, and performance, that’s the only time you may buy in bulk. It’s a process of trial and error until you arrive with the one that works best for you.
3. Know your baby’s weight and diaper size before buying.
Did you know you can order the best generic brand diapers online? It even gets to your doorstep fast. But before buying them, wait until you know your baby’s weight.
Some generic diaper brands, especially the European ones, may have different sizing systems. So just keep an eye on that before putting it in your shopping cart, online or otherwise.
Best Generic Brand Diapers
If cloth diapers are off the table but you want to stick to your budget, your option is to go for these best generic brand diapers. In this list, we also included popular brands like Pampers and Huggies along with the off brand diapers.
1. Swaddlers Diapers by Pampers
- Recommended Weight: upto 10 Pounds. Pampers Swadlers size N
- Wetness Indicator lets you know when your baby might need a change
- Soft,Stretchy Sides Helps the diaper stay in place,flexing with baby's every move
- Air Dry channels Breathable dryness to keep your baby comfortable
- Absorb Away Liner pulls wetness and mess away from baby's skin to help keep your baby comfortable
- The brand has a great reputation for providing high-quality products
- Incredible absorbent quality
- Features a wetness indicator strip
- Soft and comfortable texture
- Keeps your baby feeling fresh and clean
- A bit expensive compared to other brands in this list
There are many names out there, but Pampers is one of the best generic brand diapers; it’s a household name synonymous to babies.
Pampers has been around in the market for quite some time. And in those years, it has built an excellent reputation for high-quality products. These diapers, for instance, are wonderfully absorbent, making it a cut above the competition.
One of the incredible features of this brand is its wetness indicator strip.
When it’s wet, a blue strip will appear in front, which tells you that the diaper has moisture in it. This innovative feature helps you keep your baby feeling fresh and clean.
Like most of the best generic brand diapers in this list, this one has some chemicals in it, which may trigger a reaction on your baby’s skin. But these substances will certainly not cause chaffing under normal circumstances.
If you’re looking for a reliable brand, then go for this one. These diapers are absorbent, cozy, and easy to use.
2. Little Snugglers Baby Diapers by Huggies
- Weight Recommendation: 12 - 18 pounds. One pack of HUGGIES Little Snugglers Baby Diapers, Size 2 (12–18 lb.), 186 diapers total
- Unscented, hypoallergenic diapers
- GentleAbsorb Liner provides a cushiony layer of protection between your baby's skin and the mess, and pocketed-back waistband helps stop leaks
- Wetness indicator changes color when it's time for a change
- Premium softness and breathability helps keep your baby comfortable
- Another brand with a great reputation
- Easy to use and comes in various sizes
- Excellent absorbency levels
- Friendly on your budget
- Tends to rip easily compared to other generic diaper brands on this list
Another brand with the same name recall as Pampers is Huggies. Both brands are among the top two best generic brand diapers on the market today, and for good reasons.
Wondering what to expect with this brand?
Huggies Little Snugglers Baby Diapers are easy to use and features impressive absorbency qualities. You may also find it convenient that the brand features a variety of diaper sizes, making it easy to find the right fit for your baby. Plus, the brand also comes in various packaging sizes too.
If you’re looking for a brand that’s close to Pampers in terms of quality and comfort but not its price, your next best option is Huggies Little Snugglers Baby Diapers.
3. Eco-Friendly Premium Bamboo Disposable Diapers
- WELCOME TO A WORLD OF NO DIAPER RASHES! There is nothing worse than having a baby scream in agony from a painful diaper rash. We are so pleased to announce we finally have the solution you've been waiting for your whole parenting career… Our premium Andy Pandy Diapers are the “Bees Knees” when it comes to comfort. The moisture wicking and thermal regulating bamboo prevents your baby's delicate skin from getting painful irritation and rashes. Enjoy a happier baby, and an even happier you!
- DIAPERS AS SOFT AS YOUR BABY’S BOTTOM! We know when it comes to your beautiful baby, you want to give them the best. Our angelically-soft bamboo disposable diapers are ultra-comfortable to wear, and they are hypoallergenic and antibacterial to prevent irritation and chaffing. Plus, our deluxe Andy Pandy diapers have a aloe liner to keep your sweet baby’s skin hydrated and prevent itchiness. It is pretty much the best thing ever for your baby’s bottom!
- WE BELIEVE IN GIVING BACK! Did we mention that we love kids! As a mother of four wonderful kids, I can’t see another child suffer without wanting to help in some way. That’s just what we do as mothers, right? And our company is no different. We are a proud partner and supporter with St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. With your purchase of our sustainable Andy Pandy Diapers, you can also feel proud knowing that you are also contributing to a wonderful cause!
- THE ULTIMATE BABY SHOWER GIFT! Ever wonder what the most perfect baby shower gift would be? We may be a little biased, but we would definitely recommend our Andy Pandy eco-friendly bamboo diapers. They are sure to be a show-stopping success when your friend opens her gift to see that you took the need for necessity and comfort, and took it to a whole new level of awesome. She can enjoy having the best bamboo diapers on the market!
- ENJOY OUR LIFETIME “NO LEAK GUARANTEE!” As a mom-owned business, I made it my mission to create a superior leak-proof diaper, because “Ain’t nobody got time for that!” You can rely on our diapers to be ready to handle any blow-outs that may spontaneous combust! If you are not over-the-moon in love with our premium Andy Pandy Bamboo Diapers, we will provide you with a full money back refund. Click the yellow “Add to Cart Button” today, and experience our sustainable diaper difference!
- Environmentally friendly
- Doesn’t contain dye or harsh chemicals
- Ideal for babies who are prone to having allergic reactions
- Only available in three sizes: small, medium, and large
If you’re conscious about the environment, you will love Eco-Friendly Premium Bamboo Disposable Diapers. These diapers will break down quite easily compared to the other names in this list.
And since they’re naturally made, Eco-Friendly Premium Bamboo Disposable Diapers doesn’t contain dyes or harsh chemicals, making it a good choice if you’re concerned about getting allergic reactions to your baby’s skin.
The downside, however, is its sizing. You might want to study its sizes before buying in bulk; it can get quite confusing. With more familiarity, you might be able to figure out which size fits best with your baby.
4. Luvs Ultra Leakguards Diapers
- Weight Recommendation: 8 to 14 Pounds. Nightlock Technology locks away wetness for upto 12 hours of overnight protection
- Super soft on baby's skin for a comfy feel
- Wetness Indicator (packaging may vary) turns blue when wet, telling you when your baby needs a change
- Designed with larger, refastenable tabs for a secure, snug fit
- NOTE: The expiration date is for REWARDS not for the product
- Easy to open
- Available in large packs
- Leak protection isn’t that good
If you’re looking for the cheapest in this list of the best generic brand diapers, then go for Luvs Ultra Leakguards Diapers. It’s easy to use and comes in large packs.
Luvs Ultra Leakguards Diapers features an added stretchable clasp for quick and easy wearing. It’s very convenient to get them on and off. These off-brand diapers are also available in large packs. So if you’re the type of mom who wants to buy in bulk, you’ll love the big parcels.
Leak protection isn’t reliable, however, with this brand, which is kind of expected since they’re cheaper.
5. Cuties Baby Diapers
- A winner of the parent tested Parent Approved (PTPA) seal of Approval, these diapers offer exceptional leakage protection you can trust both day and night. Cuties diapers are 10 times drier and more absorbent than HUGGIES snug & Dry; They also lock in more wetness than HUGGIES snug & Dry, Pampers Baby Dry, and Luvs.
- Designed for maximum comfort and mobility for playtime and nap time, This diaper locks in wetness with a flexible ultra-absorbent core. Soft and stretchable waist and side panels move with your baby and help prevent leaks. Adjust the grip tabs for a secure fit.
- Cottony soft materials surround your baby in comfort. Free of latex, fragrance, dyes, and elemental chlorine, the hypoallergenic inner liner is enhanced with soothing Aloe, natural botanicals, and Vitamin E.
- Each box includes a pack of 42 diapers sized for newborns weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Cuties are manufactured in Pennsylvania and Georgia with attention to quality, safety, sustainability and responsible sourcing practices by First Quality, a family-owned company. First Quality is a leader in developing premium quality products at a great value. In addition to our collection of baby products, we also offer lines of feminine care, adult care, household and bottled water products. If you are not completely satisfied, return the purchased package and unused product for a full refund. Call 1-800-262-0042 for more details. Limit one rebate per household.
- Has aloe-infused inner lining to prevent irritation
- Comfortable fit
- A cheaper alternative to big brands
- Leak protection isn’t that good
Last on this list of the best generic brand diapers is Cuties Baby Diapers. If you’re looking for a cheaper alternative to Pampers and Huggies, then this one’s for you.
It offers a comfortable fit and is available in multiple sizes. And as an added bonus, its inner lining is infused with aloe, which enhances the comfort for your baby. It prevents irritation while soothing already irritated skin.
Like many cheaper brands, Cuties Baby Diapers doesn’t have good leak protection.
There is no one good answer to the question “What is the best brand of diapers to use?” However, the brand that is most responsive to you and your baby’s needs is the closest thing to the best answer.
Ultimately, the best generic brand diapers cater to what’s most important for moms and babies alike. If your priority is your baby’s comfort, you can choose between cloth diapers and popular disposable diaper brands like the five mentioned above.
If you’d like to focus on the affordability, there are a lot of generic diaper brands in the market today, including the ones we mentioned in this list.
What are your criteria in choosing the best generic brand diapers? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.